The purpose of the fellowship is:
- To prepare individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds in medical, biological, social, behavioral, and policy sciences to join the next generation of academic leaders in tobacco control.
- Upon completion of training, fellows will be well positioned to be active participants in crucial policy debates about the future development and implementation of tobacco control, cannabis and e-cigarette interventions.
- Reference our fellows’ alumni status: https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/alumni
The fellowship supports two years of postdoctoral training in all aspects of tobacco control research:
- Our program stresses the skills needed to conduct research in diverse, collaborative transdisciplinary settings.
- We emphasize leadership in catalyzing the integration of multiple disciplines and translating science to policy and clinical practice.
- Postdoctoral fellows will have exposure to diverse training, including both didactic coursework and individualized mentoring to build a personalized research program.
Prior tobacco research experience is relevant, but not necessary for acceptance. Fellows have come from medicine, public health, nursing, economics, anthropology, political science, law, sociology, psychology, and cell biology.
UCSF is a global leader in tobacco science, a World Health Organization collaborating center, and home of the Truth Tobacco Industry Documents. We offer individual mentorship with UCSF faculty along with courses in tobacco, cannabis and e-cigarette specific topics: health policy, cancer control and prevention, grant and scientific writing skills, career development, interdisciplinary research, and biostatistics. We place a high priority on developing a fellowship program that reflects the diverse communities we serve. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Postdoc fellows receive an annual stipend, commensurate with experience, of approximately: $51,000 – $61,000.
Academic Background Required: Doctorate/Equivalent Degree (PhD, DrPH, MD, DDS, JD)
Recognizing the difficulty placed on individuals to relocate during the COVID-19 restrictions, applications are being accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
New fellows may opt to start fellowship activities remotely from their current location.
To learn more about the Center, the fellowship program, current fellows, faculty and their research interests, visit https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/
A limited number of fellows may be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
To apply, please visit: https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/fellowship